News & Advice

The top ten Christmas foods that are toxic to your pets

Nov 23, 2018 | Cats, Dogs, Pet Health

These festive foods are harmful to your pets

Our pets are becoming more and more integrated into our families, it can be very easy to forget that their needs are different than ours, especially when it comes to food. Each year, particularly around Christmas we see many pets that have consumed food that they shouldn’t have and come off worse for wear. Remember if you would like to treat your pet this festive season, treats made just for them are best.


Your animals may love it, but it can cause elevated heart rate, vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, and death.


Fruit cake, christmas pudding and christmas mince pies.

The raisins (and grapes) are deadly to cats and dogs. They are toxic to their kidneys and can cause lethargy, excessive thirst, vomiting and in serious cases can be fatal.


Chicken bones

These can cause blockages in the small intestine that may need to be removed surgically.


Onions and chives (think Christmas stuffing).

These contain disulphides and sulfoxides, which can cause anaemia and damage red blood cells.



A common ingredient in sugarless treats and sugarless gum. This can cause blood glucose levels to plummet in your animals, leading to seizures, coma, permanent liver damage or death.


Corn cobs

These can also cause blockages in the small intestine.


Uncooked yeast dough

Even a small amount can rise and cause a rupture in your dog’s stomach or intestines. Yeast produces ethanol and even small amounts can cause toxicity. Signs to watch out for are bloating, abdominal tenderness, lethargy, weakness, incoordination and hypothermia (low body temperature).


Turkey skin, pork crackling, sausages and fatty meats

They not only add extra calories but can lead to vomiting and intense pain due to pancreatitis.


Alcohol and coffee

Both are a bad idea for dogs!



The chemical persin they contain causes vomiting, diarrhoea and heart congestion in dogs.


Keep your pets safe this festive season by ensuring you and your guests don’t share; instead, stock up on pet treats and keep them happy and healthy.


What should you do if I suspect my pet has eaten something that will make them sick?

Seek advice immediately – phone your local Anexa Vet clinic 0800 284 3838

Share This