News & Advice

Deliciously dangerous Easter treats

Mar 29, 2023 | Cats, Dogs, Pet Health

Chocolate, currants and candy are all plentiful at Easter and toxic to our pets. So be careful to keep them out of reach, and be thoughtful of where your pets are during easter egg hunts, to reduce the risk of your pets ingesting chocolate.

 

Which Easter foods are toxic to my pet?

Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs and cats. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate contain higher amounts of theobromine than milk chocolate, making them even more dangerous.

Currants, sultanas, raisins: Currants, sultanas and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, so no sharing your hot cross buns! 

 Sugar-free candy and chewing gum: Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is commonly used in sugar-free candies, gum, and other sweets. It can cause a rapid insulin release in dogs, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, and even liver failure.

 Easter grass: Easter grass is often used as a decorative filler in Easter baskets, but if ingested, it can cause intestinal blockages in pets.

Avocado contains the chemical persin that causes vomiting, diarrhoea and heart congestion in dogs.

Onions, garlic and chives contain disulphides and sulfoxides, which can cause anaemia and damage red blood cells.

 Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans: Due to their high fat content, consuming nuts can lead to pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas

 Yeast dough: Even a small amount can rise and cause a rupture in your dog’s stomach or intestines. Yeast produces ethanol and even small amounts can cause toxicity.

 

Many foods can be toxic for your pets – before offering human treats, be sure to check they are suitable or, better still, stick with pet treats from your local Anexa clinic. When you feed them to your pet, following suggested serving sizes is essential – they are treats, not your pet’s main food source.

 

Indications your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t:

You might not always catch your pet with the forbidden food or find the remains. The following symptoms could indicate toxicity:

  • Severe vomiting
  • Severe diarrhoea
  • Excessive drooling or foaming at the mouth
  • Lack of appetite
  • Coughing or vomiting blood
  • Racing heart
  • Pale gums
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Collapsing
  • Excessive thirst and/or urination

If you know or suspect your pet has eaten toxic food or if your pet is displaying any of the symptoms listed, call your local Anexa Vet Clinic immediately, as time is of the essence.

 

 

 

Share This